Update March 19, 2020 at 10:30am
Category : Book Discussion
COVID-19 Pandemic Plan for the Churches of St. Peter &St. Paul
Goal: To keep parishioners, staff, visitors and vendors safe. To avoid further pandemic spread. To continue to offer excellent programs and the sacraments.
Measures to be taken: Upon designation of a federal or state pandemic or similar designation placing Nicollet County in the affected area, our parishes will execute the following control and mitigation steps.
A. Regarding Liturgies (Masses, Confession, Baptisms, Funerals)
- Effective March 18 through March 31, Bishop LeVoir has canceled all daily and weekend Masses. He has suspended all daily and weekend Masses and dispensed from the Sunday Mass obligation.
- When we are able to have public Mass again, the following guidelines will be in place:
- When coming into church please use the hand sanitizer.
- No shaking/holding hands at beginning of Mass, at sign of peace, during Our Father, after Mass.
- EMHC should sanitize their hands at the credence table before distributing communion.
- Holy water fonts will remain empty.
- As much as possible maintain separation, 6 feet.
- Stations of the Cross – Through March 31 there will be no parish celebration of the stations. People can pray the stations privately.
- Eucharistic adoration on Thursday at St. Peter is CANCELLED through March 31.
- Regular confession schedule of Thursday afternoon from 3:30 to 4:00pm and Saturday from 3:00 to 4:00pm will continue.
- Funeral home guidelines: After lots of questions today in our Mankato office from churches and a ruling from the Winona catholic dioceses, we are going to the 10 person indoors for any viewing/service. A larger family would all be allowed to view, just no more than 10 at a time. A graveside service, being outdoors, could include all the family. Thank you for working with us as we work toward allowing families what they need to process a death while also keeping everyone as safe as possible through this. Blake
- Funeral Mass – We need to follow Bishop LeVoir’s policy of no public Masses through March 31. We would/could have a burial in the cemetery and schedule a memorial funeral Mass later.
- Lunch – none for now in the social hall.
- Bulletins – In both parishes, bulletins will be on the table near the main entrance. There will also be a plastic tub outside near the main entrance with some bulletins in it at St. Peter and in the box outside the doors at Nicollet. The bulletin is also on the parish website.
- Chapel (in St. Peter) – Narthex and chapel will be unlocked on Saturday and Sunday from 9:00am to 3:00pm. Feel free to come in to pray. Please maintain social distance of 10 feet or more.
- Church (in Nicollet) will be open on Sunday from 9:00am to 3:00pm. Feel free to come in to pray. Please maintain social distance of 10 feet or more.
B. Faith Formation
- Children’s liturgy Sunday morning is cancelled.
- Youth Faith Formation classes, events are cancelled as long as school is closed.
C. Pastoral Care
- Home visits will cease, except in an emergency.
- Care facilities will be consulted regularly to ensure that they are allowing word and communion services or Mass.
D. Maintenance and Administration
- Maintenance will see that cleaning of door handles, etc. are cleaned with a germicidal cleaning agent.
- Parish staff:
- Any staff member exhibiting signs of sickness/illness will go home.
- Some of the staff will be working from home. If you need to talk to them call the parish or email them and they will get in touch with you.
- We are planning to have some of the staff in the office.
- Communication with parishioners:
- We will have a regular communication with people via email, Facebook, and parish website.
- Parish bulletins – will be available by the main entry and in a plastic tub outside near the main entry for anyone stopping to pick it up after hours.
- Contributions – our regular expenses will continue.